While all Dominican students and faculty will have a Canvas account created automatically, there are a few factors regarding why you may not be able to login:
- Student accounts are not created until you have registered for a course. Information Technology will run a script against the Office of the Registrar's registration database three times a day, with the biggest "dump" of information occurring overnight. So if you just registered for a class, it may take at least overnight until you are able to login and see that class. (Please note that the course you registered for must be starting within 90 days for it to appear on the Canvas dashboard or be listing under COURSES>>ALL COURSES.) If you are registered for a course, also check the three bulleted items at the end of this article.
- Faculty accounts are not created until you are listed as the instructor of record for your course(s). If you conduct a search on myDU and still see your class as "Not Assigned," contact your department chair/Dean to make sure they get you listed as the instructor of record through the Office of the Registrar. Similar to student enrollments, Information Technology will run a script against the Office of the Registrar's database three times a day, with the biggest "dump" of information occurring overnight. Therefore, it could be overnight until you can login and see your classes. (You will see the classes that you are teaching approximately 120 days before the start date of the class.) If you are indeed listed as the instructor of record, also check the three bulleted items below.
If the above scenarios do not apply to you, here are three things to keep in mind:
- Make sure you are heading to the right site. Our Canvas address is: http://canvas.dom.edu . (It actually re-directs to a longer address, but this will work and is easier to remember!)
- For the place on the login screen that indicates Dominican Network ID, be sure to input only your user name and not your entire email address. In other words, if your email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, your Dominican Network ID that you should input here is: pottharr . The pasword is the same as your email/DU network password.
- Make sure your web browser is up to date. Generally, Canvas accepts the latest two versions of the common browsers. A consistently updated listing of browser (and Flash) requirements is in Canvas' documentation page, Which browsers does Canvas support?
If you can still not login after checking all of the above, by all means submit a Support Center ticket so that Information Technology can investigate further.